If Like me you are trying to be as fast as possible, jump the furthest or highest or simply last the longest. When it comes to the track, its all about the footwear, the SPIKES!! But which Spikes are Best?
The Best Spikes for 2018
Which are the spikes to make us all as fast as we really want to be on the track?
Below is my review of some of the newest and best spikes for this coming year, hopefully making the 2018 season your best!!
Now before we go into the full list, I am going to talk about the newest spike on the market (not even currently advertised on the Nike Website) The all new Zoom 400
So these would appear to be an excellent spike for the 400, for those of us who like a stiffer plate but maybe need that touch of cushioning too.
In fact I have already ordered these spikes and waiting for the delivery from America 🙂
Will update on my full verdict once I have actually tried them out.
I will also blog about them and my endeavours as I compete at the European Masters Champs in Madrid next week.
Though of course for the past 2 years I have been mostly wearing the Adidas SP Spikes, super light and stiff, a great sprint spike!
Thewe are the 2018 versions of the Adidas Adizero SP Spikes, as far as spikes for sprinting go these are A+++++ lightweight and stiff. The only personal downside is they run narrow!
Below is a list of the new 2018 spikes from RunandBecome
Best Sprint Spikes for 100M and 110M Hurdles
- Adidas Adizero Accelerator: A really powerful ‘straight line’ spike designed to help you explode out of the block and maximise acceleration.
- Adidas Adizero Finesse: Although lighter than the other spikes in this selection, the Finesse punches above its weight with a powerful spike plate that grips the track firmly. It also works beautifully for 200M.
- Nike Zoom Superfly Elite: This iconic Nike sprinting spike has a super lightweight and flexible spike plate to maximize your driving power coming out the blocks. The uppers are designed to give a snug fit to hold the foot firmly as you accelerate.
Best Sprint Spikes for 200M
- Nike Zoom JaFly: The JaFly has the same spike plate as Superfly but with less of a forefoot angle. It sits alongside Superfly as a top performance sprint spike. The uppers have offset lacing to provide the perfect fit and hold on the bends as well as straights.
- Adidas Adizero Finesse: The Finesse spike plate offers the perfect equilibrium of stiffness and flexibility to allow you to round the bend with confidence.
Best Sprint Spikes for 400M and 400M Hurdles
- Nike Zoom Maxcat: The Maxcat gives a more natural range of motion that is better for this double bend distance. Powerful sprinters can use the 100M and 200M spikes for 400M but the Maxcat will bring a slight feeling of ease to your stride on this the toughest of sprint distances.
- Adidas Sprintstar: A less aggressive sprint spike that will serve well over 400M.
Best Sprint Spikes for Juniors and Beginners
- Nike Zoom Rival S: A great fitting sprint spike. It has a good spike plate and a universal fit which is more accommodating of a wider foot than many running spikes, without being too wide for the narrower foot.
- Adidas Sprintstar: A well built sprint spike, available in men’s and women’s, and a safe bet for those with less experience who may not be able to control a really powerful spike.
Best Distance Spikes for 800M and 1500M
- Adidas Distancestar: Offers the right mix of underfoot cushioning and spike plate tension, to maximize your efforts and offer some protection to your legs.
- Nike Zoom Rival M: A lightweight middle distance spike with a breathable upper and some shock absorption.
- Saucony Vendetta: A female middle distance spike offering a minimal yet supported feel. Lightweight, highly breathable mesh uppers.
Best Distance Spikes for 3000M to 10,000M and Steeplechase
- Adidas Adizero Avanti: It really doesn’t get better than this spike from Adidas. If you’re concerned about the toll to your legs and lower limb fatigue then this is the running spike for you. Beautifully light, responsive but flexible, protecting the foot from fatigue. Add to this the Boost cushioning, which offers more protection in such a narrow piece of foam than any other brand, and you’re going to be flying round the track leaving the rest for dust!
- Nike Zoom D: A Cushlon midsole offers protection over longer distances and a nicely breathable engineered mesh upper helps prevent sweatiness. Anatomically lasted to fit the natural shape of the foot, the Zoom D offers more space in the forefoot than some others.
- Nike Zoom Rival D: Nike’s entry level distance spike offers good cushioning and is a very good option for the price.
Best Distance Spikes for Juniors
- Adidas Allroundstar: Purpose built for junior track and field activities. Provides grip and protection.
- Nike Zoom Rival M: A single layer breathable mesh upper with internal Flywire cables offers a locked down fit. The lightweight spike plate gives traction over multiple distances.
Best All-Round Spikes
- Adidas Distancestar: Mix up your events with the Distancestar which combines grip on the tartan with breathability and shock absorption and a great fit.
- Nike Zoom Rival M: A versatile multi-purpose athletics spike designed for running, hurdling and jumping.
- Nike Zoom Rival D: Similar to the above but with a bit more cushioning in the heel and under the spike plate to protect your feet during the more impactful events.