Gary Snyder, Former USA Masters Track & Field Chair, Announces Candidacy for World Masters
Gary Snyder, former USA Masters Track & Field Chair for ten years until this year, announced his candidacy for World Masters Athletics President. Snyder’s candidacy was endorsed unanimously by the USATF Masters Track & Field and Long Distance Running Joint meeting, chaired by new MTF Chair Rex Harvey, at the USATF Annual Meeting this weekend, and Snyder also thanked LDR Chair Mary Rosado. Snyder said that he “hopes to continue the same civility and productivity in WMA that he was proud to achieve during his tenure at USA Masters Track & Field.” He added that he “will work to expand the mission of athletics for life — lifetime fitness and health through training and competition throughout the world — for WMA.” The election will be held during the WMA meeting at the World Masters Athletics Championships in Málaga, Spain, in September, 2018.
Snyder provided a brief personal Biographical Statement:
As a candidate for President of World Masters Athletics I hope this brief bio will give you a better understanding of my experience, qualifications and interest in serving.
I bring both an athlete’s and an administrator’s perspective to our sport. As an active athlete I compete in short sprints, running the 60m, 100m and 200m events. I practice and train seriously and enjoy the quest to improve.
As an elected administrator I recently completed ten years as the National Chair of USA Masters Track & Field. I chaired a committee of approximately eighty members who conducted local, regional and national championships. I was directly responsible for twenty indoor and outdoor national championship meets. Also I was the responsible for all aspects of USA Teams at ten World Masters Athletics championships. I have always been dedicated to the success of WMA and now serve as USA delegate to WMA.
During my tenure as national masters Chair:
- The USA initiated drug testing at all national championships to reflect WMA priority.
- Each world competitor receives a full USA Olympic uniform free of charge.
- The national committee’s budget increased by 300%.
- Initiated USA team hotel and athletes party at WMA Championships.
- Expanded athletes meeting at USA Indoor Championships.
- Launched media committee to expand press coverage of masters track on TV, radio, print, online, and social media, and marketed masters track/athletics with Video “Forever Fast.”
The national committee enjoyed ten years of civility and productivity.
From 2002 – 2006 I served as President of USATF’s New England Association. The association is one of the largest and most successful and certainly a leader in promoting Masters T&F. During my tenure we hosted three USA National Masters Indoor Championships.
Prior to New England, I served as President of the Greater Boston Track Club for five years. At that time the club was in financial trouble and had less than one hundred members. I was instrumental in the club’s recovery. There are now more than 200 members and they are financially stable.
My professional career as a manager with AT&T and related companies provided me with extensive life experience including:
- Manager of numerous staff and field organizations.
- National President’s staff with responsibilities in operations, planning, finance and sales.
- Chief Financial Officer for national commercial building wire business.
- Chief Financial Officer for New England Sales (six states) with responsibilities for sales plan, contract management and a $125 million expense budget.
- Sales Manager for all government accounts in New England with over $50 million in sales